JOURNAL OF THE NIGERIAN SOCIETY OF ENGINEERS
INSTRUCTION TO AUTHORS
1. TYPES OF PUBLICATION
The Journal of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers will publish articles on the original research on the Science and Technology of Chemical Engineering. Preference will be given to articles on new processes or innovative adaptation of existing processes. Critical reviews on current topics of Chemical Engineering are encouraged and may be solicited by the Editorial Board. The following types of articles will be considered for publication:
- Full length articles or review papers.
- Communication – a preliminary report on research findings.
- Note – a short paper describing a research finding not sufficiently completed to warrant a full article.
- Letter to the Editor – comments or remarks by readers and/or authors on previously published materials.
The authors are entirely responsible for the accuracy of data and statements. It is also the responsibility of authors to seek ethical clearance and written permission from persons or agencies concerned, whenever copyrighted material is used.
2. MANUSCRIPT REQUIREMENTS
- The Manuscript should be written in clear and concise English and typed in Microsoft Word using double spacing on A4-size paper, Times New Romans font and 12 point. A full length article or review should not exceed 15 pages. Margin should be Normal (i.e. 2.54cm for Top, Bottom, Left & Right margins).
- The Manuscript should be prepared in the following format: Abstract, Introduction, Materials and Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion, Acknowledgements, and References..
- The Manuscript must contain the full names, address and emails of the authors. In the case of multiple authorship, the person to whom correspondence should be addressed must be indicated with functional email address. As an examples, authors’ names should be in this format:
Momoh, S. O., Adisa, A. A. and Abubakar, A. S.
If the addresses of authors are different, use the following format:
*Momoh, S. O.1, Adisa, A. A.2 and Abubakar, A. S.3
Use star * to indicate the corresponding author.
- Symbols should conform to America Standard Association. An abridged set of acceptable symbols is available in the fourth edition of Perry’s Chemical Engineering Handbook. Greek letters, subscripts and superscripts should be carefully typed. A list of all symbols used in the paper should be included after the main text as Nomenclature.
- All Units must be in the SI units (kg, m, s, N, etc).
- The Abstract should be in English and should not be more than 200 words. The Abstract should state briefly the purpose of the research, methodology, results, major findings and major conclusions. Abstracts are not required for Communications, Notes or Letters.
- Citation must be in the Harvard Format i.e. (Author, Date). Examples are (Smith, 1990) or (Jones et al, 2011). (Kemp, 2000) demonstrated that …..; (Mbuk, 1985; Boma, 1999; Sani, 2000) if more than two authors. (Telma, 2001a), (Telma, 2001b); etc if the citation have the same author and year of publication.
For more information on Harvard Referencing: Guide visit http://www.citethisforme.com/harvard-referencing
- References must also be in the Harvard Format i.e. (Author, Date, Title, Publication Information). References are listed in alphabetical order. Examples are shown below:
Haghi, A. K. and Ghanadzadeh, H. (2005). A Study of Thermal Drying Process. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, Vol. 12, November 2005, pp. 654-663
Kemp, I.C., Fyhr, C. B., Laurent, S., Roques, M. A., Groenewold, C. E., Tsotsas, E., Sereno, A. A., Bonazzi, C. B., Bimbernet, J. J. and Kind M.(2001). Methods for Processing Experimental Drying Kinetic Data. Drying Technology, 19: 15-34.
- Tables should contain a minimum of descriptive materials. Tables should be numbered in Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, etc), and should be placed at the referenced point with captions (centralised) placed at the top of the table.
- Figures, charts, graphs and all illustrations should be placed at the referenced point, numbered in Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, etc) and incorporated in the text. Caption for Figures should be placed at the bottom of the Figure (centralised). Lettering set or symbols should be used for all labels on the figures, graphs, charts, photographs even when drawn in colours. (Note that figures drawn in colours may be unreadable if printed in black and white).
- Equations should be typed using MS Word Equation Editor and should be centred with number (in Arabic numeral) at the right margin.
- Wherever possible, Fractions should be shown using the oblique slash. E.g. x/y
- Footnotes should not be incorporated in the text.
- Acknowledgements should appear at the end of the paper, before the list of references.
3. SUBMISSION OF MANUSCRIPTS
Manuscripts should be submitted by sending a Microsoft Word document (taking into account the Manuscript Requirements described in section 2 above) to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com.
4. ACCEPTED PAPERS
The following additional information should be observed for accepted papers: (i) Typed in Microsoft Word using 1.15 spacing on A4-size paper, Times New Romans font and 10 point; (ii) Margin should be 2.54cm for Top & Bottom; 2.20cm for Left & Right margins; (iii) The abstract should be one column document while the body of the manuscript should be double columns with 0.5cm gutter spacing except some tables and figures that may have to go in for one column document.
Full NSChE Journal edition in hard copy will be published twice annually.
Reprints are available on request at a moderate fee per page. Orders must be placed before the paper appears in Print.
7. READER’S INFORMATION
The papers are wholly the view of their author(s) and therefore the publishers and the editors bear no responsibility for such views.
8. SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION
The subscription price per volume is as follows:
- Individual Reader - N1,500.00
- Institutions, Libraries, etc. - N2,500.00
- Overseas Subscription - $30.00
9. COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Copyright of published material belongs to the journal
10. PRIVACY STATEMENT
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.